Suffering from lower back pain?
Here are five mobility exercises that can be helpful for CrossFitters with lower back pain:
- Cat-Cow Stretch: This yoga-based exercise helps to mobilize the spine and can alleviate lower back pain. Start on your hands and knees with your wrists directly under your shoulders and your knees under your hips. Inhale and arch your back, lifting your head and tailbone towards the ceiling (Cow pose). Exhale and round your spine, tucking your chin to your chest and bringing your tailbone towards your knees (Cat pose). Repeat 10-15 times.
- Piriformis Stretch: The piriformis muscle can become tight and contribute to lower back pain. To stretch it, sit on the floor with your legs extended in front of you. Cross your right ankle over your left knee, and gently press your right knee down towards the floor until you feel a stretch in your right buttock. Hold for 20-30 seconds, then switch sides.
- Glute Bridge: This exercise strengthens the glutes and can help improve posture and alleviate lower back pain. Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the ground. Lift your hips up towards the ceiling, squeezing your glutes at the top, then lower back down. Repeat 10-15 times.
- Hip Flexor Stretch: Tight hip flexors can contribute to lower back pain. Kneel on your right knee with your left foot in front of you, bending your left knee at a 90-degree angle. Place your hands on your left knee and gently press forward until you feel a stretch in the front of your right hip. Hold for 20-30 seconds, then switch sides.
- Bird Dog: This exercise helps to improve spinal stability and can alleviate lower back pain. Start on your hands and knees with your wrists directly under your shoulders and your knees under your hips. Extend your right arm and left leg out straight, then return to the starting position. Repeat on the other side. Do 10-15 reps on each side.
These exercises can be modified or progressed based on individual needs and abilities.
Our Coaching Staff is ready to help you if you suffer from back pain! Schedule a no-sweat intro with us today to talk more.