There are people who love running and then others that dread it. Running for exercise, provides a good amount of benefits that we may not realize.
When starting a new running routine, it can be challenging at first because it is something we aren’t used to. This is common with SO many things. The first time most people try a new exercise, it’s probably not comfortable or easy. We tend not to like things that are hard. As we keep doing it, we get better and make progress.
General Manager Chris and Nutrition Coach Jamie both happen to love running. They find it a way to help clear their mind, manage stress and they always feel better after a run. On Saturdays, you can find them running up and down the hill by the gym either during their WOD or after their workout for the ‘extra steps.’
Here are some ways running can benefit you:
- Improve Heart Health: Running is a form of aerobic exercise which helps strengthen our cardiovascular system. Our heart is a muscle and with aerobic exercise we are able to strengthen it and improve our cardiovascular health. An hour of running can burn up to 400 calories.
- Keep You Healthy and Fight Disease: Running can help improve high blood pressure (hypertension), lower your risks for certain types of cancer, and reduces your risk of stroke. It can also help with diabetes and reducing your risk for osteoporosis. Running helps with the elasticity of your arteries which can also help prevent heart attacks. Need I say more?
- Endurance: Running will help improve your breathing and endurance. The definition of endurance is the human body’s ability to withstand stress for a prolonged period of time. This is why marathon runners are considered elite endurance athletes. They have trained their bodies to be able to run 26.2 miles. By increasing your running, you will be able to breath through those burpees and double-unders better. Running will be able to support the endurance needed to push you through the challenging CrossFit WODs.
- Meet People: You can meet amazing people through the running community. There are many different running groups and all are very supportive.
- Mental Health: There is research to suggest that running has a positive effect on anxiety, depression and stress. By moving our bodies it can improve mood. For some, running can also be a form of meditation. If you are having a bad day and need to find a healthy way to cope, running can be a great solution. Running has a way of helping to clear your mind and refresh your thoughts.
- It is Easy and Economical: You don’t need any fancy treadmill or gym equipment to get started. I just recommend a good quality pair of running shoes to protect your feet. If you can walk then you can run. You may need to start slowly at first but over time you will be able to pick up the pace.
- Running Can Help You Sleep Better: Anxious thoughts, worry and feelings of stress can interfere with getting a restful nights sleep. Running has been shown to reduce these symptoms, therefore helping with insomnia.
- It Fits Right into Your Schedule! You can run at any time you want. All you need is your running gear and a good song playlist.
With all that being said why wouldn’t anyone want to give running a try?
CrossFit Torque’s ‘Happy Feet’ Couch to 5k 8-week program begins the week of April 18th and will conclude with a socially distanced 5k on June 13th. Chris and Jamie would LOVE to have you! There are still open spots available.
You will be provided with running exercises 3x/week, group runs, nutrition support from Nutrition Coach-Jamie, InBody scan available at beginning and end, race t-shirts and an e-book full of running tips.
Questions? Comments? Reach out to Admin@CrossFitTorque.com or ask any coach while at the gym!
Let’s go hit the pavement!!!