Here is one of Coach Merrr’s favorite recipes!
PIZZA SPAGHETTI PIE
I haven’t met a person who hasn’t loved this recipe yet. It is super versatile and makes plenty of leftovers.
It even tastes great for breakfast, if you’re into that sort of thing…
Switch up your add-ins and you’ll have a like-new dish each time. My current favorite is sausage, red & green peppers, black olives, and plenty of crushed red pepper.
Pizza Spaghetti Pie
- 1 large (about 600g) spaghetti squash
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup pizza sauce (made with no junky oils or added sugar)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 eggs, whisked
Your favorite pizza additions (pepperoni, peppers, olives, etc)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Place cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until it gives slightly when you press on it. (Note: I find mine often takes a bit longer, 30-35 minutes. Check often.) Let cool while you start prepping the rest.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees.
- Place a large pan over medium heat. Add sausage and onion; cook until sausage is no longer pink and broken into pieces. (Note: This is when I add my peppers and other ingredients I wanted cooked.)
- Add pizza sauce, dried basil, salt, and pepper; mix well. (Note: This is when I add my uncooked ingredients, such as olives, pepperoni, etc.)
- Scrape out the squash noodles and add to pan; mix well.
- Add whisked eggs and mix everything together until you can no longer see the eggs.
- Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour, or until the top of the casserole forms a slight crust that doesn’t give when you press on it in the middle.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.